Headquarters: Staten Island, NY
Hi! I’m the Founder and CEO of Builder Prime, a growing B2B SaaS startup helping home improvement companies grow their businesses. I am a technical founder and was the sole developer until about 2 years ago. The team has grown since then and we just raised Series A financing from Blueprint Equity and TinySeed. Scaling up the development and engineering team is now a top priority, and that’s where you come in.
I am looking for a Director of Engineering to join our small team and make a big impact by significantly growing and leading the development and engineering team.
We already have the absolute best platform out there for home improvement contractors. Our customers love our software and the support they receive from us. Check out our reviews on Capterra and Facebook to see what some of our customers are saying about us. We have a highly available platform (see https://builderprime.statuspage.io) with extensive observability tools. Yet, there is more to be done using your experience to improve and further mature our team, tech stack, and operations.
This is a full-time position that is 100% remote. All of our meetings, as well as any meetings with customers, will be conducted remotely, mostly over Zoom. You will need to work during or close to US East Coast business hours. Currently, we try to meet as an entire company for an off-site retreat at least once per year and would cover your expenses to join us.
Why YOU Should Apply
This is a unique opportunity to get in at an early stage of a growing software startup company. We are profitable and growth is accelerating. We need your help to continue that acceleration and scale the company to the next level.
You will be working directly with me, so there is no red tape or layers of management to deal with. You will be able to influence and make real changes, and see the results of those changes immediately. You will be the strategic technical leader that drives major impact in the business that we serve, and in the software, they use throughout every single day to grow their own businesses.
Responsibilities and Day-to-Day
We are a small and scrappy company, so you will need to wear a few different hats. Flexibility and adaptability are key traits that you will need to possess to be successful in this role.
Your main responsibility will be to lead the engineering team consisting of developers, testers, UI/UX engineers, and DevOps engineers. We don’t yet have team members in all of those roles, so you will also be responsible for hiring to fill those roles, and possibly others not mentioned. We expect to grow this team significantly over the next year, so you’ll be working with our recruiting partners to find the best talent and get them up to speed and productive.
You’ll also be responsible for breaking and creating new molds of what a CRM software platform can be for its users. We care deeply about our customers, and we think that they, and the rest of the industry, should have the opportunity to be on the bleeding edge of technology for a change. You’ll be the leader that is driving innovation on their behalf.
Additional responsibilities include:
- In partnership with the company’s founder, identify opportunities and risks for delivering the company’s services as a web-based business, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of marketplace obstacles and technical hurdles to the business’ success.
- Be the leader in technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business.
- Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms (including web application frameworks and the deployment stack) for delivering the company’s services.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development, and deployment of all web-based services.
- Participate as a member of the senior management team in establishing governance processes of direction and control to ensure that objectives are achieved, risks are managed appropriately, and the organization’s resources are used responsibly, particularly in the areas of software development, security, design, user experience, and testing.
- Collaborate with the appropriate departments to assess and recommend technologies that support company organizational needs.
- Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and services.
- Communicate the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Share knowledge, mentor, and educate the organization’s investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders with regard to the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Develop and control the development and deployment of annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Establish standards of performance and monitor conformance for staff (through performance review) and vendors (through service level agreements).
- Ensure the company’s internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with community expectations and applicable laws and regulations for privacy, security, and social responsibility.
Here are some other qualifications that would make this role a good fit for you:
- Minimum 3 years experience in a senior management role in a SaaS organization.
- Experience leading teams in a variety of structures and environments ranging from start-ups to large-scale enterprise corporations.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences. Ability to actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff.
- Extensive experience with Java or C# (preferably Java), data architecture, and systems architecture is essential.
- Extensive experience working with Agile methodologies.
- Leader – strong track record for building a strong engineering culture and world-class development teams.
- Entrepreneurial with a high level of energy, and unrelenting drive to succeed and win.
- Highly Intellectual – Ability to think deeply and qualitatively about business problems, break down issues, and present solutions.
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
- Any knowledge or experience in the Construction or Home Improvement industry is a plus.
I can’t wait to work with you, learn from you, and build something truly amazing!
Builder Prime asks respectfully to only apply through the application form and not email/apply to them directly. Recruiters and Agencies please do not contact Builder Prime directly.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/builder-prime-director-of-engineering