Headquarters: United States
Jetpack Workflow is looking for its next Director of Engineering, to own Product Engineering and all of its SaaS products. You are a seasoned leader with an outsized impact in this fully remote company. In this role, you will be a member of management, advising the CEO, serving as a technology expert, contributing to the overall direction of the company and the products we create, helping to grow the next generation of Engineers, and playing a leading role in technology strategy. You will partner with Product Management to understand our customers and market and develop product and technology roadmaps. You will maintain and grow a high-performing and healthy team, communicate a clear vision and goals, and drive delivery of market-leading products. The Director of Engineering has responsibility for a team of 5+ Individual Contributors supporting 2 products and should be an expert in delivery and scaling modern SaaS products with disciplined pragmatism.
What you'll do:
- Develop a strong understanding of our product, our market, and the economics of our business
- Contributes to and makes recommendations for strategic plans in support of company goals.
- Partner with Product Management to define a roadmap and shape individual features based on company objectives while balancing routine maintenance and technical debt, to create secure, reliable, scalable software solutions
- Own the overall technical design and implementation strategy to support multiple SaaS platforms.
- Define and manage pragmatic development processes, practices, and ceremonies based on current best practices.
- Establish hiring plans, job descriptions, compensation planning, and interview processes to attract and retain top talent.
- Develop performance plans with each direct report, foster growth mindsets, and provide appropriate opportunities for learning and development.
- Champion and lead modern, pragmatic software development and design best practices, define light-weight processes, encouraging consistency and discipline across the organization.
- Work with engineers to craft software architecture and design, overseeing efforts to select new tools, components, and infrastructure, evaluate emerging technologies, make build-vs-buy decisions, and own vendor relationships.
- Regularly review team and individual performance to monitor status and identify opportunities for targeted coaching and mentorship.
- Establish monitoring, alerting, and support channels for products in production, detect and address issues proactively, participate in incident handling, and serve as the highest level of technical support.
- Establish Security, Privacy, & Compliance best practices for Development and Product. Talk directly to customers and partners about what Jetpack is doing to secure their data and digital privacy.
You'd be a good fit if you have experience in most of these areas:
- Managing high performing teams of 5 or more engineers with a strong track record of growing individual contributors.
- Leading, building, and scaling B2B SaaS solutions in a rapid-paced start-up environment.
- Significant experience at all levels of modern web and mobile applications, front-end, backend, and database, with mastery in multiple areas.
- Crafting long-term budgets and schedules, balancing competing priorities.
- Securing modern cloud-hosted applications and protecting user privacy.
- Creating and evolving modern agile development processes.
- Supporting highly-available, performant production environments with significant customer use.
We'd particularly love to hear from you if you..
- Have built engineering teams from the ground up.
- Have scaled engineering teams and would like to do so again.
- Have significant experience with Ruby on Rails, Postgresql, and Heroku.
- Have participated or led Kanban or Shape Up development methodologies.
While this position is fully remote, we'd strongly prefer candidates who are located in a time zone that has some overlap with the US-Eastern Time zone. We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Compensation and benefits:
- Competitive salary ($190K-$220K) + equity options
- 3% 401K match
- Generous health + dental coverage
- Remote Only
- Home Office Stipend (internet, setup, new mac, etc)
- Monthly Internet Stipend
- Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
Who we are:
Jetpack Workflow is a remote, B2B SaaS company that focuses on building delightful products that solve painful problems. After talking with hundreds of customers, we launched Jetpack Workflow in 2016 with the goal of helping accounting firms never miss a deadline. Since then we have gone on to serve thousands of customers, became an Inc5000 company, and transitioned to a remote company in the middle of Covid. Fast forward to 2023 and we're gearing up to have the biggest product release in our company history and we're looking for the right engineering leader to work with our small but mighty team to bring it to market (and we don't need VC dollars to get it launched).
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/jetpack-workflow-director-of-engineering