Headquarters: Redwood City, California
Equinix Metal, a leading bare metal cloud provider, is looking for an OpenBMC/firmware engineer to help us provide our customers with stable firmware on the latest hardware as well as helping advance the industry towards a more open firmware space.
With over 2,700 bare metal developers on our platform, we are expected to provide access to exciting new hardware technologies from our industry partners such as ARM, AMD, Intel, Supermicro, Dell, and more (see our Partners page). Candidates for this role will have a strong passion for firmware and getting the most from our available hardware.
This role is a remote role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Porting OpenBMC to new platforms, putting them in production in our fleet and contributing that work upstream. This involves hands-on work with local hardware as well as remote debugging.
- Producing stable and thoroughly tested releases that can be trusted for production servers provisioned by our customers
- Collaborating with the upstream OpenBMC community and other related projects (Linux kernel, U-boot)
- Developing and debugging device drivers across a variety of kernel subsystems (SPI, UART, Ethernet, USB, I2C)
- Maintaining and improving embedded build environments and automated hardware test systems
- Working on low-level optimizations and improvements to the Linux kernel
- Working with partner organizations to root-cause issues in firmware, drivers, and hardware
- Ensuring our production environment is fully functional for customers
What we’ll expect from you:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work well together with customers, partners, and the team
- 3+ years Linux development experience, good understanding of major Linux kernel components and in-depth knowledge of at least one subsystem
- Strong troubleshooting and performance tuning skills, familiar with kernel debugging tools (perf, ftrace, etc.)
- Comfortable reading schematics and data sheets, familiar with basic electronics
- Device driver development experience
- Strong competence with C and shell scripting (experience with Rust and/or Yocto/OpenEmbedded a plus)
- Broad understanding of how server hardware boots and functions
Critical Success Factors:
- Demonstrate humility
- Possess endless curiosity
- Listening to understand
Equinix is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disabilities.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/equinix-metal-senior-firmware-engineer